Monday, May 23, 2011

UnWelcome Phenomenon - Skinny Jeans

"I am not against rappers, I am against those thugs!" - lyrics from Bones Thugs N Harmony's 90s hit "Thuggish Ruggish Bone", a throwback to when Hip Hop was still growing in its raw stage and becoming regionalized in different cities across the country.  Hip Hop does not just represent the music but also the style, how you walk, talk, the clothes you wear. 

Growing up, a lot of styles came about because of necessity, almost an accident that would turn into a style that was permanent rather than a fad that would run its course.  For example, jeans; I remember having to buy those Levi Silver Tab jeans or just Levi's for that matter that were all snug and really tight around the areas where men should not be tight.  I am like most men, we need room to breathe down there!!  Now, in order to "breathe" we would have to "sag" the jeans some, pulling the jeans down but not exposing your backside arena.  This was never to be disrespectful but moreso out of necessity to breathe and to be comfortable throughout the day. 

When Cross Colours, Karl Kani, Used Jeans, etc arrived on the scene, they catered to that "breathing" requirement and made the jeans big enough so that we did not necessarily have to sag anymore.  This new wave of jeans were stylish, baggy, and comfortable.

I am a grown-up now, or at least I pretend to be, and I do not wear jeans as often as I would like but the jeans I do wear fit. They are not too baggy but definitely not too tight.  I look like a GROWN MAN!!!

"I AM NOT AGAINST JEANS, I AM AGAINST THOSE SKINNY JEANS!!!"

Call me old fashion (good Lawd, i sound like my parents) but I do not understand why our young people have taken us back twenty years with this whole skinny jeans thing.  I mean, have you seen these atrocities to fashion (lmaoo)?  They cant walk sometimes, at least not in a straight line, but more in a side to side type of movement.  The jeans are so tight they look like they have to be painted on and how they get them off is beyond me!!!  And to top it all off, they have the nerve to sag them wayyyy below the backside area and then have the nerve to have a belt on!!!!!  I DONT GET IT!!! 

Okay, I can admit, I maybe being a bit unreasonable and just plain old but is this suppose to be sexy or something.  From a man code perspective, this is unacceptable and intolerable!!  Interesting enough, I think if more young men understood that this sort of "style" comes from prison culture in which the men that were considered "man-p*ssy" (sorry for the explicit lyrics) were identified by others by the way they wore their pants, which was below the backside, they would pull them up!!!

So, in essence, we have a generation of young men adopting a prison culture for the sake of style and maybe to impress women.  I BLAME THE LADIES OUT THERE!!! If women would stand up against this "style", it would not exist or at least it would go away fast.  Maybe I am just old and going overboard.

Your thoughts, SPEAK OUT!!!

4 comments:

  1. Amen! Say it again and again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skinny jeans on a guy = #EPICFAIL

    Skinny jeans, sagging, exposing your butt/underwear on a guy = #DUDESHOULDBEARRESTED

    Agreed, like most things regarding men, if doing it didn't attract women, guys would stop doing it within 30 days. Within 90 days, it wouldn't exist anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN, AMEN! :D You need to send this as a PSA to every school system! So glad someone finally mentioned this!

    ReplyDelete