Monday, May 16, 2011

Cheating

Two years ago it was reported that 1 in 2.7 men will cheat on their wife; that number has probably escalated to 1 in 3 men today.  Worse part is that most of the wives will never know it.  Being the single man that I am and having friends that are married, it is usually best that I take the "none of my business" approach to any man's indiscretions. 

Does this mean that I am condoning the cheating; I mean after all, "I am my brother's keeper."  Am I suppose to step up and read my homeboy the "thou shall not cheat" script?  This is a grown man that knows better so will it really matter what I have to say?

But what if the situation was a little closer to home.  In an earlier blog, I asked if it was okay for your homeboy to date your sister.  What if your close friend broke this rule and married your sister. You know where I am going with this!!!!  And now your homeboy cheats on your sister...POW! BAM! BOOM!!! 

Do you say anything?  If so, what do you say and who do you say it to?  If not, why not? 

What if the woman was a close female friend? Do you take the same approach and say anything?

Illy Jilly from Philly, Miss Jill Scott, said it best:  "Your backgroung aint squeaky clean, sometimes we all have to swim upstream; you aint a saint, we all sinners, but you put your good foot down to make your soul a winner..."

Speak Out!!!

2 comments:

  1. Blood is thicker than water, but I am a woman. If my brother knew and didn't tell me, things would get exceptionally ugly once I discovered my brother's failure to inform me.

    If YOU can't take pride in the activity in which you are engaging, then you shouldn't be doing it. Man up and take care of home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been saying this way too often...men need to begin holding other men more accountable! As a female I understand the very different friendship dynamic we have with eachother compared to men. We share all of our feelings with one another. Therefore, I believe as a good friend it is my duty to praise you and at the same time step in when I feel you need to be "checked". Sometimes this may backlash but why would I let you ruin a good thing, make yourself look bad or not try to stop you when making a horrible decision?

    As I see it, too many of my male counterparts do not do this for eachother. They turn the other cheek and as you mentioned, they believe, "what can I tell this grown man that he doesnt already know?" And I think it's quite simple...tell him the TRUTH. Tell him he's wrong, tell him this is a huge mistake.

    I dont see it as butting into someones business if its brought to your attention and a true friend should value your opinion.

    Noone likes to be told "you're wrong", but some of us need to be!

    ReplyDelete