Monday, April 16, 2012

Emancipation Edition - I'm Offended!

***Walks into room, steps up onto soapbox, hits the mic 3 times, "Is This Thing On!!"***

Apparently there are a lot of people, in particular Black folks, upset with a new Burger King ad she did but has since been pulled.  Well, some of you are probably asking why, why are we up in arms about a black woman singing about chicken? Let me give my perspective...

At one point in U.S. History, Black folks were stereotyped and ridiculed in public via "black-face" and other forms of entertainment.  Black folks were made fun of for eating chicken, watermelon and other 'slave' foods.  A lot of people, particularly in the older generations, are often offended by such satire and it is understandable.

I will go on record and say I like chicken; I like it fried, baked, in a salad, blackened, burnt, and any other way you can have chicken.  I even eat watermelon occasionally and I am not ashamed to say it.  So I do understand the uproar but let me ask you this, is it really that big of a tragedy that Mary J. Blige is singing about chicken?

I am going to go out on a limb and say no BUT I will talk about what offends me:

1.  REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA

2.  PANTS BELOW THE BUTT (men and women)

3.  THE CONSTANT DISRESPECT SHOWN TO OUR PRESIDENT

4.  THE INABILITY TO FORM A COHERENT SENTENCE

5.  LOVE & HIP HOP

This list could go on and on but you get the point.  If Burger King wants to pay MJB a couple of million to harmonize about some food the majority of us love to eat, I do not see the big deal.  I do have an issue with a person who is up and arms about MJB but will go home and tune in to the newest episode of Real Housewives!  Really? You are mad at MJB but that mockery of a show that puts all Black women in a negative light you will support?

If you do not support MJB and you do not support such coonery like the Housewives then we are ok but you cannot pick and choose what you want to support.  Either you are with us or against us!

***Drops Mic***

No comments:

Post a Comment