Monday, March 19, 2012

Word Play...

I would first like to go on record and say the young man Trayvon Martin was MURDERED! Yea, that about sums that up, no discussion needed.  If you do not know what I am talking about, just google the name and 40 articles will appear.

Now, I am not perfect in any way, shape or form but I have to go on a small rant here and talk about some words that are either misused or misspelled or just simply have been overused to the point where you cringe when you hear it.

Words misused or misspelled:

1. "There", "Their" and "They're" - there is a difference: there refers to a place or a direction.  E.g., I am sitting over thereTheir refers to possession. E.g., Someone left their book on the table.  They're is a contraction for two words, they and are.  E.g., They're going is the same as They are going. 

I constantly see people mixup these up, especially "there" and "their"....

2.  "Lose", "Loser", "Loose", and "Looser" - Lose is a verb and generally refers to a sporting event or misplacing a noun. E.g. to lose a sister, I lost my hat. Loser is noun that does the verb part of the word lose.  E.g. The Heat lost to the Knicks so Lebron is a loserLoose means unbound, free.  E.g. to wear her hair loose Looser is a form of loose. E.g. can you make the rope a little looser

I always see these mixed up for whatever reason and it drives me nuts!!!

3.  "Where" and "Wear" - Where is an adverb that talks about a place. E.g. where is the bank?  Wear is a verb and usually talks about items of clothing.  E.g. I am wearing a suit today at work.

 
Words that should be retired:

1.  Swag or Swagger - first off, the general population does not even know what this really means but it is continuously being used in the most ill-mannered way.  Swag or Swagger is multifaceted and it means a person that possesses Style, Confidence, AND Manners.  I think people just apply swag when the person has style and confidence but the crucial piece is manners.  Apply manners and those we say have "swag" fall out of the category immediately!  Either way, it should be retired!

2.  Irregardless - simply put, IT IS NOT A WORD!  It is considered a double negative, let it go people!

3.  Wretched versus Ratchet - the use of these words is not only becoming unbearable, but one is being used in place of the other and they mean two totally different things!  So first, if you are going to use this word to describe something, an adjective, please use "wretched".  Second, how bout we just do not use either one at all.  Thanks!

As stated, I am not perfect but I at least try to get the basics and so to help those around me or if you know someone who needs to read this, just send them this link and just tell them to read.  This is the polite way of saying your word usage SUCKS and here is why, so change! without really saying it. 

If you know anymore words misused or overused, please feel free to add on!!!

3 comments:

  1. i agree...people constantly misuse "that" and "which" as well. AND I'm sorry "funner" is not a word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being As and Being That.... ugggggg

    Use because or since instead people :).

    ~sandy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about people making things plural when they don't need to be. . .for ex: saying "mines" instead of "mine". . . irritates the hell out of me!!!

    ReplyDelete