Monday, March 5, 2012

A Lost Generation

It was a sunny Saturday morning and I was finishing up cleaning the house. If you grew up back in the day, you remember you had to clean up the entire house; you were your parents private cleaning service except you worked for free!  Another tradition for my parents is that they would walk to the corner store and pick-up 3-4 newspapers they would read for the rest of the morning.  Well, this particularly Saturday turned into the "Saturday from hell" for me. 

See, every morning before school I would walk into this corner store and steal candy for the day.  I did not have any money but I wanted some Reese Cups to eat at lunchtime so I would steal a pack or two.  Well, the workers in the store caught on to me coming into the store every morning and not buying anything so when I did come in, one of them would go behind the refrigeration area where the drinks were kept and look at me five-finger discount some candy.  In all my genius, I did not realize that those were GLASS DOORS to the refrigerated drinks so you could clearly see out into the entire store.

They never called the police but they waited to talk to my parents because of course, back in the day, in your neighborhood everybody knew everybody and you were a child of the neighborhood.  They would have probably beat me if they had access to some belts, quiet as it is kept!  So, my Mom came back from the store that morning and immediately called my Dad to the living room.  My Mother told my Father that the lady at the corner store has been waiting to see one of us to inform us that our son has been stealing candy from them for the last two weeks.  Yea, my life just ended!

My Father grabbed the big leather belt (the one that look like it came straight off a horse's ass), ordered me to my room where he promptly closed the window and shut the blinds (so the neighbors or neighborhood for that matter did not hear me yelling for my life), and then I got my butt promptly whooped!  Not one of my better moments and the worse part, I could not even lay down on my own arse because it was bleeding internally.

I have not even stolen a kiss from that day on.  Fast forward, I read an article where a couple of kids tried to kill their fifth grade teacher with rat poisoning.  That is correct...hold on, I will wait for your reaction!

Do not worry, I am still waiting!

Yea, that is correct, three fifth grade students attempted to poison their teacher.  And they did it because "they didnt like the teacher...she was too strict."  Like seriously, if I ever...hold on, back up, one time I did something I was not supposed to be doing and I got hymned up by the cops (yea, I fractured a few laws here and there when I was young, DONT JUDGE ME!) and the cop wanted my parents phone number. I refused to give it to them and instructed them to take me to jail, it would be safer! I told them my Dad might (actually, he would) shoot me if he knew what I did so please, just take me to jail! Unfortunately, these bonehead cops called my parents anyway. You would think taking me to jail would have been easier!!

You want to know why three kids tried to kill their teacher.  In the immortal words of Bernie Mac, "because we some PUNKASS parents" that is why!  Kids have way too many rights and they know they are able to get away with just about anything because the state along with Child Protective Services has deemed it illegal to discipline your child.  But where is CPS when three kids try to murder their teacher? 

These kids have a sense of entitlement that is beyond reason, they do not appreciate anything, and you cannot even look at them wrong or you will be in handcuffs.  Well, I got news for you, my child is not going to kill me! Bill Cosby said it best, "I brought you in this world, I will take you out!" 

You are probably asking at this moment what all of this has to do with Man Code?  Well, my parents instilled in me it just is not right to steal, lie, or cheat.  If you have to cheat, take the F; tell the truth and be man enough to take the consequences and if you have to steal, you did not need it in the first place.  I was taught to always respect my elders and to always give it my best shot.  If I failed, get back up and try again.  I was never rewarded for fifth place so I was encouraged to be the best and then get the spoils.  These "small" lessons have become a part of who I am and provide a backdrop for my own personal rules.  As a man, you gotta have rules; no rules, no code and every man has a code.

No comments:

Post a Comment