Monday, July 11, 2011

Texting Versus Calling

Remember those days (and I think I am referring to those 30 and up) when you would fall asleep talking to your "girlfriend/boyfriend" on the home phone.  You would wake up to that beep beep noise b/c the other person hung up on your snoring!! What about when you called someone at home and if they were not home you had to leave a message and pretty much wait until they got back to you and that could have been hours later. 

Then technology stepped in!

The arrival of beepers, the first low level, human low jack, made it "easier" to stay in touch but now you had to have a pocket full of change for the payphones in your neighborhood.  And Heaven forbid if it was an emergency, the notorious "911" that came in at the end of a number to call.  Unless you were a street pharmacist, what really was the emergency? Would it have been an emergency if you knew you could not have gotten hold of me???

Welcome cell phones.  The first cell phone looked like a handheld brick attached to a suitcase that doubled as the battery pack.  Now it was dayum near impossible to ever be unavailable.  As the cellphone evolved to what we have now as the handheld PC, texting has exploded and it is wreaking havoc on the chivalry between man and woman.  Add facebook, twitter, 4score or whatever and now no one really talks to each other, we TYPE each other.

Now I will be first to say that I hate the phone, I love talking face to face, FACETIME!  If I had to choose between texting and talking on the phone, I would choose texting because it allows me to multitask (or pay attention when I feel like it) and it gives me time to think of a response when I want to respond. 

Talking on the phone is probably the next best thing to facetime; it allows you to at least hear the person's voice which can indicate different emotions (texting is emotionless unless you type in CAPS) and communication is clearer. 

It used to be when you asked for a lady's phone number, the man would call her.  Nowadays, men get the number and they text the lady.  I think this new phenomenon is driving women nuts!!!!  I think it has gotten to the point where dates are setup and a phone call has not even occurred.  I think we are now delivering sex over text messaging; what is it called, Sexting?  That is a whole other topic because for the life of me I do not understand why anybody would want their goodies floating on the internet!

As men, we need to get back to the basics of chivalry and stop being lazy.  Would it really kill us to pick up the phone, at least initially and then the rules of engagement can be established?  Ladies, would it be that hard to communicate your expectations as far as how you want to be engaged? 

I never knew it would get to the point where we have to establish rules on something as basic as the telephone but this is where we are.  Technology, I dont know, it maybe doing more harm than good when it comes to the relationships between the sexes.

What do you think?  SPEAK OUT!

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree, I moved here from Califonia and talking on the phone was rare, unless insisted upon, and once I moved here it became less of an priority, Im not sure if men have become lazy or if the fear of rejection has taken on a new stance. If you already have the number then the hard part is over, call me, I wont even respond if a guy text...and once he see's that Im not responding he calls, its sad that It has come to that but it has. I would request that men "Man Up" and women do the same, maybe relationships would change and their value would increase.....here's hoping at least...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best statement of the post. . ."we need to get back to the basics of chivalry and stop being lazy. Would it really kill us to pick up the phone, at least initially and then the rules of engagement can be established?" It all comes dwn to people are LAZY and don't wanna put effort into anything anymore and it's sad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's less about laziness and more about confidence. It's easier to express oneself via text then over the tele/personal. Also, one can't hear the tone of voice to determine the attitude or lack thereof if they are texting...I know, I do it. A shy person can be confident over text. What I find to be lacking as far as chivalry, is often the way people text in the presence of others, while the other person is speaking to them. I am a culprit of said act, and have made a conscious decision to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to respectfully disagree. It's because one cannot hear the tone of voice that alludes to the opinion that it is probably is much better to speak in person, whether on the phone or face-to-face. That way there are no misunderstandings or misinterpretations. What better way to break out of the habit of shyness, or any other trait that one feels is lacking than to attack things head-on and actually speak to the person of your desire. You may be pleasantly surprised quite often.

    ReplyDelete