Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Barbershop: A Black Man's Country Club

Saturday Morning. Eddie Norris' phone rings. "Wassup Jay!" I give Eddie my usual, "What it do playa, are you in the shop?" Ed always says, "I got two and then you so come on thru..." and then I tell the biggest and most notorious lie every Black man has told at least once in his life, "I will be there in five minutes!"

Half hour, maybe 45 minutes later, I arrive at Changing Faces Barbershop in the Northeast section of DC right next to Catholic University.  I walk in to my version of "Cheers" and give a "What's Up" and some dap to all barbers in the shop and a pleasant hello to the stylists in the back that keep our ladies looking beautiful!

"Cliff, what's up...What's up Jay. Tommy...Jay, you know I got the Celtics in the finals!? Big Mike...What's up Jay. Rudy, how are you young man...How are you today Jay? Mark, What's up...my man Jay what's up!? Mel, you staying out of trouble?...yea Jay, this week I am! Ed, What it do baby?...my man Jay! Ladies in the back, Good Morning! Hey Vash, Hey Shawn...Good Morning Jay!!!!"  I then take a seat in an open chair like I am at home, which I am, and proceed to engage all in any topic worthy of "arguing" over from the last week.

This happens every Saturday morning and it has been a ritual in my life as long as I have been alive.  Like most men, I have only had a handful of barbers in my lifetime and can name them all.  And they all know me, no I am sorry, they all KNOW ME!  It is actually conceivable for a man to have the same barber all of his life if he does not move and this is normal.  The Barber is the most personal person to a man outside of his immediate family.  The Barber is not just a barber; he is a friend, confidant, psychologist, oracle, mind-reader, and anything else you need him or her to be that day.  The Barber is the creator of "the look" a man presents to the world.  Any special event, preparation starts with a haircut.  A haircut can literally change how a man feels and can do wonders to his confidence.

The Barbershop is a microcosm of the Black community and it is a place where you can be yourself and truth is always expected.  I always tell women, you want to understand the psyche of a man, go to the Barbershop and just listen.  If you become brave, ask a question, you will get an answer!

The Barbershop is everything to everyone; you never know who you are going to meet, you never know what will be discussed, and if you ever need something, somebody in the Barbershop is going to be able to help you or know someone that can.  If you need a TV, a mechanic, a doctor, lawyer, you want to buy a house, rent your condo, dance lessons, tutoring, sell products, buy products, you can do it all in the Barbershop.  The Barbershop is Craig's List, Ebay, USA Today, ESPN, BET and the Yellowpages all in one.

I can remember one Saturday morning recently where one of the stylist was very passionate about the Trayvon Martin case and of course a discussion surrounding the events of that tragic case ensued.  It just so happened that a Metropolitan Cop, a lawyer (graduate of Howard Law School), and some others in law enforcement were in the shop and they were able to educate all of us on the nuances of the law, in particular Florida law, gun laws, and the politics of the entire situation.  I learned more that morning about the law and the Martin case than all of the internet sites, TV clips, and newspaper articles combined.

It hit me while driving home from the Barbershop that this is the only Black-owned establishment where I spend money.  When I look at my monthly spend and where I spend, the Barbershop is the only place Black-owned where I contribute to the circulation of money in the Black community.  I will put this in perspective; studies have shown that the dollar circulates in the Asian community for 28 days before it is spent with outsiders.  The Jewish community has a circulation of 19 days, the White community, 17 days, and in the Black community, six (6) hours.  Yes, not sixteen days, not six days, but SIX HOURS!!!

What does this mean? It means that the $20 I give to my barber will eventually be spent to buy him lunch next door at the soul food spot owned by Asians.  The irony in that, soul food being prepared and sold by Asians but I digress.  It means that the owner, Mark, has to pay his leasing agreement to someone who is not Black.  This means that we have a lot of work to do!

I work downtown and my building has a Grooming Lounge on the first floor.  If you have never heard of Grooming Lounge, it is a spa of sorts just for men.  You can go there and get a haircut, shoe shine, massage, etc all in one visit.  They have packages for all their services or you can buy them a la carte.  A haircut is $50 but it includes a foot massage.  The general manager knows me because I go in there once a week to get my shoes shined.  And almost every time I go in there, she always tries to sell me on buying more of their services, especially a haircut.

I considered going to the Grooming Lounge.  I have even asked myself why do I spend $20 a week for a haircut I can easily do myself?  The answers came easily; the Barbershop is an institution in my life that cannot be replaced nor can I ever go without.  I need the Barbershop for all that it offers and all that it has given me in my lifetime.  The Barbershop needs me not just for my money but the "community" I bring every week that makes it the special place that it is.

The Barbershop is my country club...

No comments:

Post a Comment